Location: 06 013, building G
Moral philosophy, moral psychology, existential philosophy, philosophy of religion, philosophy of psychoanalysis, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Søren Kierkegaard, G.W.F. Hegel, Martin Heidegger, Simone Weil, Emmanuel Levinas, Immanuel Kant, Karl Marx, R.G. Collingwood.
Education and degrees
Docent in philosophy, Åbo Akademi University, Finland (2011).
Docent in philosophy of religion, Uppsala University, Sweden (2010).
PhD in philosophy of religion, Uppsala University, Sweden (2005).
MA (major: comparative religion), Uppsala University, Sweden (1999).
S:t Eskils skola, Eskilstuna, Sweden (1991-1994).
Fröslundaskolan, Eskilstuna, Sweden (1982-1991).
Teaching experience (in selection)
History of philosophy; Moral philosophy; Philosophy of science; Continental philosophy; Philosophy of the human sciences; Meta-ethics; Philosophy of language; Hegel’s “Phenomenology of Spirit”; Philosophy of religion; Philosophy of the I; Heidegger; Thinkers of Athens; Hermeneutics; Kant’s moral philosophy; Philosophy of tragedy; Virtue ethics; Marx’s “Capital”.
Associate professor in philosophy, Åbo Akademi University, Finland (2011-).
- Forgiveness and Moral Understanding. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan, 2021.
- Self-Knowledge and Self-Deception. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
- Love of a God of Love: Towards a Transformation of the Philosophy of Religion. London: Continuum, 2011.
- Escaping My Responsibility: Investigations into the Nature of Morality. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2009.
- The Possibility of Discussion: Relativism, Truth and Criticism of Religious Beliefs. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2006.
Recent papers (in English)
- "The Logical Alien: Conant and His Criticis, ed. Sofia Miguens." Philosophical Investigations 44, no. 2 (2021).
- "In Search of the Context of a Question." Sats 21 (2020): 199-213.
- "Council Democracy - a Tradition Yet to be Understood." HannahArendt.net: Journal for Political Thinking 10, no. 1 (2020).
- "Forgiveness and Plurality." Arendt Studies 3 (2019): 195-212.
- "Psycho-Analysis and the Morally Charged Nature of Personal Relations." European Journal of Psychoanalysis, no. 11 (2019).
- "Life and Truth." Nordic Wittgenstein Review 8, special issue (2019). [Open access]
- “Self-Deception, Prayer, and the Empirical Study of Religion.” In The Origins of Religion: Perspectives from Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies, edited by Hanne Appelqvist and Dan-Johan Eklund. Helsinki: Luther-Agricola Society, 2018.
- “Does Religious Belief Necessarily Mean Servitude? On Max Stirner and the Hardened Heart.” In Essays in Anarchism and Religion: Volume 1, edited by Alexandre Christoyannopoulos and Matthew S. Adams. Stockholm: Stockholm University Press, 2017. [Open access]
- “Kafka and Wittgenstein, by Rebecca Schuman.” Nordic Wittgenstein Review 6, no. 1 (2017). [Open access]
- “Is Pure Evil Possible?” In The Problem of Evil: New Philosophical Directions, edited by Benjamin W. McCraw and Robert Arp. Lanham: Lexington Books, 2016.
- “Is It Possible to Sublate Religion?” Hegel-Jahrbuch 2015.
- “Relativism.” In Vocabulary for the Study of Religion, edited by Robert A. Segal and Kocku von Stuckrad. Leiden: Brill, 2015.
- “Contemplating Religious Forms of Life: Wittgenstein and D.Z. Phillips, by Mikel Burley.” Nordic Wittgenstein Review 3, no. 2 (2014). [Open access]
See my Åbo Akademi University page